Saturday, October 13, 2012

Trust.

"This is how idolatry grows in our hearts. We want things and we aren’t sure God will give them to us, so we put our trust in other gods. This is the problem of the human heart —misplaced trust. We value, love, and trust something in creation more than the Creator, and since there is nothing in creation that is intended to bear the weight of our trust, we are bound to live in fear. All other loves must be subordinate to your love for Christ."
-Edward T. Welch

This quote was on the wonderfully made blog this morning, and it really struck a chord with me. I struggle with this a lot. Not knowing what God will do in a situation i'll try to put things in my own hands. Which, as you probably guessed, doesn't turn out the best. It comes out messy and complicated. And not necessarily how God wanted it to be. This quote is absolutely true about living in fear. When we put our trust in ourselves or in anything other than God we will live in fear of the "what ifs" or the "will it happen?". It's just so hard to fight against my flesh and my will. But He's good to me, and is always there at the end of the day or when I finally allow Him to have control. And even when I continue to struggle with this balancing act for months or years on end, He is still so patient and so kind. Never making me feel stupid or like a failure. He knows the desires of my heart and He can work out all things. But I just have to remember to let Him be God and for me to be me. His imperfect daughter who tries to put her trust and her wants in other people and things.

2 comments:

  1. Such a great reminder for me today! Thank you for sharing! I need to work better on asking what God wants from me, and not rely on my own ideas so much (although those come from God too) I guess it is all about recognizing it :)

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting!